Friday, April 04, 2008

Not quite for us, but might be right for you?

Woo... I think we're in a heat wave! It got up to 60 degrees - I saw so many people out in shorts and tank tops today! Funny how people do that now, but if it was the fall after the humid hot summer, they would be shivering with pants and long sleeve shirts on.

I'm slightly torn about our dinner tonight... I didn't hate it or anything, but it just did not taste like I had pictured in my mind after reading through the recipe (am I the only one who does that?). I think it was the combination of ingredients in this Curried Eggs with Rice dish that threw me off.

While a hearty portion of nutty brown basmati rice bubbles away, an onion - halved and thinly sliced - is softened in a couple tablespoons of canola oil. A mound of minced garlic and fresh ginger are tossed in and stirred around for just a minute to perk up. Fragrant curry powder is added, followed by marinara sauce and hard-cooked eggs that had been quartered. At this point, things looked and smelled great... however, my taste buds were confused and I was not sure what to make of it. I continued on, warming the sauce and eggs back up, and served the tomato-y combination over the fluffy rice. We finished plating the dish with dollop of tangy plain yogurt and a slice of lime to squirt on top before eating.

Jeff and I thought the interaction between the red sauce, eggs and curry powder was just a little too unusual for our tastes. I also think the texture of the eggs didn't jive with us in this combination - if you are used to these flavors together though, this might be up your alley!

5 comments:

  1. I had one of those days too. I tried a new soup recipe that did not turn out as I had expected. I don't like it when this happens but I have to go on and hopefully next new recipe I will try will turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happens all the time :) Sometimes I just find that I have to adjust the spices to our own taste.Like when I made moussaka with aubergine... beautiful taste but the aubergine got an awful consistensy.. and I normally like aubergine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hm, perhaps softly scrambled eggs would have be nicer texture-wise with this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egg curry is fantastic- and works much better than you would think.

    I think it's the marinara... I cannot imagine that working well in a curry. Canned diced or crushed tomatoes would be what I would use- and then add some toasted cumin seeds too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helene - Glad I'm not the only one!

    Mokki - I don't think the spices would have helped much, but it is good thinkin' for future issues!

    Anon - I don't know... possibly!

    Erika - that could certainly be it!

    ReplyDelete