Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hungry? Throw together this pork dish in a snap...

Some weeknights I have plenty of time to spend in the kitchen and don't need to worry how I will get dinner ready. However, there are certainly a number of nights that I'm thankful for my stack of recipes I have set aside that can get dinner on the table in a short amount of time.

I knew today was going to be one of those busy days that would run right into dinnertime, so I set aside a recipe for this Pork Paprikash dish that could be on the table in a little less than half an hour. The pork mixture will be served over tender egg noodles, so we needed to get the salted water boiling to cook them - if you cover the pot, it happens a bit faster!

While the noodles were busy, we halved the lean pork and then sliced it, crosswise, into 1" thick pieces. The meat is then seasoned with sweet paprika (which may also be labeled as Hungarian) along with salt and fresh ground black pepper. The reddish-coated strips are then added to a hot skillet dancing with a thin layer of canola oil. Once browned, yet not completely cooked through, the strips are removed and set aside. Onions are then added to cook - when they have softened, the caramelized pork pieces, along with another punch of paprika, a can of whole peeled tomatoes and a bit of water are stirred back in. As this mixture simmers, be sure to use a sturdy wooden spoon to break up those whole tomatoes a bit - you could also always just snip them with kitchen shears while they are still in their tin if you wanted them more chopped. The heavy skillet, brimming with sauce and melt-in-your-mouth pieces of pork, is removed from the heat and a big ol' scoop of sour cream is stirred in, adding a luscious texture and a slight tang. Served over a dune of buttered noodles, this enticing dish came together in a snap without filling the sink with a bunch of dishes.


2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I love this blog! I found it once by accident, lost it, found it again by accident and now have it bookmarked. I'll be returning frequently. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia - I'm glad you found us again! Come by anytime!

    ReplyDelete