Saturday, January 20, 2007

Three layer cheesecake bar...

It is a very blustery and chilly day today - I took heed and baked another batch of our favorite new hamburger buns. We've really succumbed to these and they keep turning out consistently well!

Yesterday I made some Double Chocolate-Mint Cheesecake Bars, but wanted to wait until today to talk about them. I decided to let them chill overnight before cutting and trying them out - however I did catch Jeff with a fork in his hand trying to sneak a taste last night... busted! I tried to tell him he couldn't have any now, but I think he knew that was an empty threat!

When I thought about how I wanted to make these, a proper graham cracker crust came to mind... but I was feeling a little lazy and instead just layered the bottom of the pan with chocolate graham crackers. If you choose this simple and quick option, just try to cover the bottom as best as you can without layering them. The batter for this three-layered dessert is a sumptuous combination of soften cream cheese, Dutch-process cocoa powder and rich sour cream. Granulated sugar is added to sweeten along with cornstarch to help thicken and set the cheesecake. Once it was baked until just set in the center, I immediately scattered a handful of Andes Crème de Menthe baking chips on top. After sitting for just a couple minutes, the minty chips had softened enough to a spreadable consistency that smooths out to form the third layer once chilled. To let the flavors develop and allow the mixture to completely set, it is best to give this at least a 4 hour rest in the refrigerator at this point. Once well chilled, we were able to cut through the thin chocolate-mint crust to reveal a soft, luscious and creamy deep chocolate filling. I do have to give these bonus points as we were able to cut them into exceptionally clean bars.


6 comments:

  1. These look delicious! My partner's mother is coming over for her bday dinner on Sunday, I think this will be dessert. Is it okay to use non-dutch process cocoa? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - Feel free to use natural cocoa! I just prefer Dutch-process when I can use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely gorgeous! I hope it tasted as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All three of us loved these bars, Joe. I did make a crust, only because I don't have an 8-inch square pan, but otherwise was faithful to the recipe. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One word: luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lowcountry - Thanks!

    Sarah - Glad to hear it worked well for you! Thanks for getting back to me!

    Barbara - Too kind... thank you!

    ReplyDelete