Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Maybe we should invest in a potato farm....

Tonight's dinner was a creamy, cheesy and very comforting potato casserole. Hash Brown Casserole with Bacon, Onions, and Cheese can be prepped the day before and left to sit in the refrigerator overnight.
The end result has tender cubed potatoes mixed in a velvety sauce with a smoky background from the crisp bacon. A generous amount cheese covers the dish before baking and ends up with a nice crust around the edge, while slowly turning to a luscious gooey center. It almost reminds me of scalloped potatoes, but taken to another level. This would be a good breakfast casserole for guests since it can be all done ahead of time.


5 comments:

  1. Oh this looks so much like something up my alley. What did you serve with it? I love potatoes as the main feature but often get the look like "ok where is the rest", ok really it is more than a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness. This looks like heaven! All my favorite food groups represented: the potato group, the pork group and most importantly, the cheese group. I think this would be the perfect brunch for after a holiday. Like New Year's Day, as long as you make it a day ahead.
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll add you to my links section. Take care,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! My friend is having an 'open house' on Christmas day, and now I know what I'm bringing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm comfort on a plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather - I served a salad with it - it was filling by itself! I know what you mean though!

    Melissa - Thanks! It does sound good for NYD!

    s'kat - Sounds great!

    catesa - I agree

    ReplyDelete