Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Good use for leftover bread...

The M&M cookie bars went over well at Jeff's office from what I hear. None of them came home so that must be a good sign!

Tonight for dinner we had Bread Pudding Florentine. While I was putting this together this morning I was a little nervous with how it was going to come out. I was thinking it would be better to just cube the bread and mix everything together, but in the end I'm glad I layered it. The bottom layer of bread is not overly soggy as it sometimes can be while the top layer has a nice crispness. The inside of the top slices are still a little soft from the egg mixture. The spinach layer brings both textures together and lends its flavor throughout the dish.

Bread Pudding Florentine

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a recipe I might like--maybe it'll be my next lunch bunch offering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought I would drool looking at a spinach dish. But looks great. I was wondering what you served with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ackk...I feel like I should know this, but I can't think of it...what is CS? The bread pudding sounds good! I've been meaning to try a bunch of different savory bread pudding recipes, but somehow don't get around to it...we don't usually have much stale bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Joe, this bread pudding looks super yummy! I am copying the recipe for sure! By the way... what is CS?
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  5. JJ - Hope you get a chance to try it!

    Anon - I served just a green salad along with some fresh fruit on the side.

    Alice - CS = Cooking Smart (magazine)

    Ana - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe, what a great idea. My parents, more than me, seem to have so much bread lying around and I hate throwing it out. My mom's always insisting she'll take it to the local pond and feed to the birds, but I'd rather experiment and USE IT! Isn't that a chef thing? Never throw anything out, it can always be used?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that looks so tasty. I may have to put that on the menu for next week. Thanks for sharing another great one. By the way, I made the Harvest Pumpkin Bars and they were wonderful. Thank you so much for the reccomendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mona - Yeah, I try to not throw anything else if I can use it in the future. I have odds and ends of things in the freezer waiting to be used!

    Punky - Glad to hear you made the bars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks fabulous. I have a long list of CL bread puddings I want to try, but I haven't tried any of them yet. I'm also sad because I'm the only big spinach fan (I love it)in the house, so I don't get to make it very often unless I want to hear lots of complaining....sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Devorit - Thanks for letting me know it came out well! I hope you try and enjoy the chicken!

    ReplyDelete