Monday, October 17, 2005

Down goes the temperature

What a great way to wake up this morning...

*Click for a closer view

It was a cloudy and mild day with a scattering of raindrops and rainbows. I think I saw at least 4 rainbows throughout the day! The temperature was around 85 and it is suppose to drop to the mid 70's for the next couple days. The AC is off and the windows are open. It finally is starting to feel like fall outside!

We have 3 recipes to get to from dinner tonight. I put together Herb-Coated Pork Tenderloin, Walnut-Crusted Potato and Blue Cheese Cakes, and Pumpkin Drop Biscuits. Even though it may sound like a lot - most of the prep work can be done early and most of the time tonight was just spent waiting around for the stuff to cook!

The Pork Tenderloin is coated in a variety of fresh herbs with olive oil and marinated overnight. It was juicy with just a slight pink in the middle. The fresh herbs brought an extra punch which flowed throughout the tenderloin. While the pork was resting I went to cooking the potato cakes. I was a little worried that these might not hold together, but it went well and had a nice crunchy exterior and a warm creamy center. The blue cheese gave off a subtle tang and went well with the nutty coating.

Herb-Coated Pork Tenderloin with Walnut-Crusted Potato and Blue Cheese Cakes
*Click for a closer view

I had more pumpkin to get used up so I found a biscuit recipe that sounded good. The orginial one called for them to be rolled out but I am fond of drop biscuits so I changed it a bit. I'm glad I did as it was a little too sticky to roll out and I would have had to use too much flour to try to. This way was faster and easier to deal with! The pumpkin taste is not overly pronounced but you can tell it is there. They are light biscuit reminiscent of fall flavors.

Pumpkin Drop Biscuits
*Click for a closer view

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm...I've made those pumpkin biscuits several times...I always drop them rather than roll them, too. Actually, someone on the CLBB suggested upping the amounts of spices some, and I always follow that variation with great success...I can't remember the specifics, but they taste even better with a few modifications. The pork and blue cheese cakes look scrumptious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there you went, making a kind comment about my photo and you had this gorgeous one sitting here! I love the colors in the background. We have very similar weather right now, only not nearly as dry, of course.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those potato cakes sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice - I will have to try them with some more spice next time then!

    Thanks for coming to the blog Amy!

    Sara - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete