Thursday, October 20, 2005

Calming the tart berries

Happy to see that fresh cranberries had finally arrived in our area it was time to make something with them! I had a couple ideas already and went with Fresh Cranberry and Orange Cookies. These are a soft and chewy cookie that is lightly coated in an orange frosting to help cut the tartness of these berries. Having both orange juice/zest in the cookie dough and frosting brings a bright and subtle flavor and does not overpower the rest of the flavors. I chopped the cranberries by hand but you could easily use a food processor to do the work for you - just leave some bigger chunks.

Fresh Cranberry and Orange Cookies
After enjoying my cookie sample it was time to head off to start dinner. I made Sweet and Crunchy Mustard Chicken with Roasted Potato Salad and the Pumpkin Biscuits from earlier in the week. The tender chicken breasts remain juicy but still have a nice crunch from being baked instead of fried in the oven. Tangy dijon mustard and brown sugar in the coating brings a unique depth of flavor to the chicken.

The potato salad was pretty quick to throw together after being in the oven. There was just enough vinaigrette to coat the potatoes without making them soggy. I got a look like I was destroying it when I threw the roasted potatoes in a bowl with green onions, bacon, parsely and the dressing. Thankfully, everything melded well and got the thumbs up on the salad! I really liked this one.

Sweet and Crunchy Mustard Chicken with Roasted Potato Salad
Recipes

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, the cookies sound yummy. Something to put in my mental Rolodex for the B&B...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...I have fresh cranberries in the 'frig. I have a weekend where I am actually in town. It's going to cool off this weekend. I just might be making some cookies this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the chicken you made it is one of my favorites. Your dinner looks wonderful, as well as those cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fresh cranberries were a good choice - they look stunning. I have a bag myself that is just begging to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look good! I finally went and bought me the SBB book the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal - Thanks!

    JJ - Cookie baking is always good on the weekends!

    Punky - Thank you! It is a new favorite of ours now too!

    Thanks Nic!

    BNA - I hope you like them if you get a chance to bake some!

    Michelle - Have fun with SBB! I love that book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, thanks for this recipe! Ive been trying to figure out a way to use up the fresh cranberries I just bought and this will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanvi - Hope you like the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I've said it before, but your photos are just gorgeous. Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete