Saturday, July 02, 2005

Marbled Rye Bread

Marbled Rye Bread(Adapted from The Bread Baker's Apprentice)

This recipe needs to be made twice, with an additional ingredient to make the dough dark for the marbled effect.

1 1/2 cups light rye flour
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 tablespoon molasses
2 tablespoons spectrum shortening (can use oil or butter, but it won't be as tender)
1 1/4 cups, plus two tablespoons room temperature water

For the second dough, add 1 tablespoon liquid caramel coloring or 2 tablespoons cocoa mixed with 1 or 2 tablespoons water. This is to be added at the same time you add the water for the second batch.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, yeast, and caraway seeds. Stir in the molasses, shortening and 1 1/4 cups water. Keep stirring until the dough starts to form a ball (add the additional water if necessary.) Scrape dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 4-6 minutes, add a little flour if needed to keep it from sticking. The dough should be a slightly tacky, but should not stick to your hands. Move the dough into a large bowl that has been coated with cooking spray. Roll the dough ball to coat and cover the top with plastic wrap.

Repeat the same proccess again to create dough number two, this time adding the coloring to make the darker dough.

Let both doughs set at room temperature to rise for about 60-90 minutes (depending on the temperature it may take up to two hours) until each dough has doubled in size.

Divide each dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll out the dough portions into 8 oblong pieces about 8" long by 5" wide. Start with one piece of light dough and stack a dark piece on top, add another light then another dark. Roll into a batard and seal the bottom. Repeat with remaining 4 pieces to make 2 loaves. Place each batard into loaf pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Lightly spritz the tops with cooking spray.

Loosely cover each with plastic wrap and let rise for 45-90 minutes, until almost double in size.

While the loaves are proofing, preheat oven to 350. When they are ready, beat 1 egg with a teaspoon of water until frothy. Carefully brush the top of each loaf right before you place them in the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes, rotating halfway though, until the tops are a dark golden color. When tapped on the bottom it should sound hollow - you can also check the temperature - it should read 190-200.

Remove from the pans and let cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours before slicing.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

7 comments:

  1. I always thought it was supposed to be two distinct flavors of bread, not just colors. I guess that's why I was never so enamored with marbled rye, I was expecting something more. How funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I always thought the same thing. When I was making it I realized it was the same dough, but I figured at some point you would add something to change the flavor... Guess not! I used cocoa to color but gave no flavor as far as I could tell. The rye was pretty strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the Marbled Rye from BBA with some help from my friend Sheri over at Pork Cracklins. It was my first bread! I love BBA! I'm hooked. I used to be so scared, but that book is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOUR RYE BREAD LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!
    I AM GOING TO TRY YOUR RECIPE, AS DH LOVES HOME MADE BREAD.
    THANK YOU FOR POSTING RECIPE.....
    VAL

    ReplyDelete
  5. with marble rye the flavor distinction of the dark portion is pumpernickel, but if you don't mind not having that flavor and really want the color variation this recipe seems pretty good...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a frequent and confident baker, but something about this recipe just didn't come together for me. Neither portion of the dough rose properly - and no, I didn't forget the yeast! It rose a little, and got that yeasty smell, but never doubled in size. I also had to add more liquid as it was entirely too dry at first mixing. I don't know what went wrong but this is the first bread that hasn't worked out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat - Not sure what to tell you. Many, many people have made this recipe with success. Perhaps there was either too much flour, not enough kneading or the water was too warm?

    ReplyDelete